Isolating the "demethylated" product of the reaction of furan containing
Ugi products with TFA, as explained here.
- Dissolve 50 mg of Ugi product (for example 62E) 500 ul CDCl3 and
take H NMR
- Add 500 ul TFA, mix and take NMR after 5 mins
- Monitor by NMR after approximately 10, 20, 40, 80, etc. min until
the reaction is complete (should be around 48 hours)
- Pour into 10 ml of 10% NaOH and 10 ml of methylene chloride. Verify
that the water layer is basic using pH paper.
- Wash twice with 10 ml of methylene chloride then combine all the
- Add MgSO4 until fluffy when stirred, filter and evaporate.
- Get the weight and take NMR.